· Dive in and TRY with Helen·
· Photos from my lesson dyeing a silk scarf with Helen ·
· How did you get started working in this area? ·
In the 1970s I dipped my toes into the alchemy of dyeing fiber with plant material. In the past few years I have reconnected with the art after years of graphic design and plant nursery work.
· Where do you find inspiration for your work? ·
I find inspiration in the plants around me as well as in the world of historic fabric design
· What’s a project you’ve done that you’re proud of? ·
I am most pleased when a dye pot produces an unexpected color. That’s the mystery of plant color!
· What tools do you use? Have a favorite? ·
My favorite tools are my induction hot plate and my biggest stainless steel pot.
· What’s your workspace like? ·
My workspace is on my back deck, overlooking the creek. On cold or rainy days, I move into the back garage.
· What kind of music to you work to? ·
The birds in the creek, Jazz or KALW when in my studio.
· Do you have a favorite inspiration quote? ·
We are all on a journey to discover who we are, what we’re here to express, and how we might enter the world with what we might create.
· Favorite local spots? ·
Walking to the top of Mountain View Cemetery and taking in the view of Oakland.
· Anything else? ·
The local fiber and dye movement is growing and expanding. I hope my class may whet your appetite to experience this meditative world that has such deep history and contemporary relevance.